Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tuesday horse racing summary

Days like today make me wish I hadn't given up transcendental meditation! I'm joking, but I could sure do with some slow controlled breathing right now. I proposed six win bets this morning, and I managed a winner with Misbehaviour at Fontwell. But I also had two horses finish in second spot, both at a tasty 7/1 and both going down by just a neck when they could just as easily have won. Never mind (performs repetitive yoga chant....)

I also suffered my first unsuccessful lay bet of the month. I wanted to oppose Bougereau at Pontefract this afternoon, if for no other reason than I rarely think a horse in a maiden is worth backing at odds-on. But apart from the fact that this horse had no winning form I found a few other reasons to oppose him. He had not run since last September so there may be questions to answer about fitness. He was stepping up in trip to 10f and the ground was a little softer than he had raced on before. 4/9 to me seemed too low a price to resist laying, and I went against him for 5 points. I was proven wrong, and the colt won quite comfortably. But over the course of a season these types of bet will prove profitable to the layers.

Overall a loss of more than 6 points to the account, so I am off to a pilates class to forget about it.

No comments: