Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Tuesday horse racing summary

A relatively quiet day, with only five bets proposed, and only two of these achieving my suggested value price to be a final bet. I ended up having two back-to-win bets: the first on Brook No Argument who won at Wetherby, then I backed General Tufto at Folkestone which finished unplaced.

Both my suggested lay bets were priced too high, so although both horses lost, they go down as 'no bets'. I was keen to oppose Glorious Gift in a maiden race at Folkestone. Although he had finished close up on his last outing, this afternoon he would be racing a furlong further than ever before, and on soft ground, over which he was unproven. These unanswered questions would have led me to lay bets against him if I could get matched at 6/4 or lower. But the lowest I was able to see was 15/8 and so I kept my money safe and let the race run its course. We missed a successful lay bet this time, but trust me it is profitable in the long run to remain disciplined about the price you are willing to lay.

Come the end of the afternoon the account was almost 2 points to the good.

No comments: