Monday, April 07, 2008

Ever get that Hollow feeling?

One of those confidence-sapping days today, when I drew a complete blank. All six proposed win bets went down the tubes, and to be frank, none of the horses showed any sparkle whatsoever. I know it happens, and thankfully it doesn't happen too frequently for me, but it is still galling when it does.

I fancied Hollow Jo to come back to winning ways in the first race at Kempton this afternoon. He is usually one to watch early in the season, and racing off a lower mark compared to the mid-70's he was rated this time last year I considered him to be a value favourite. But disappointingly he was never on terms today.

The only horse that won today was my proposed Lay bet Straight Face, also at Kempton. More by luck than judgement the price did not drop low enough to qualify as a final bet. Had it done so I would have had to go home and wear sack-cloth all evening. As it happens, I shall get my nose back in the form book, keep on applying the same methods that have served us well over time, and see if we can't get back some of today's losses from tomorrow's cards.

No comments: