Friday, July 20, 2007

Rain, rain, go away!

I had four selections lined up for Newbury this afternoon, but the meeting was called off and put pay to our fun! The 10/3 about my lay bet at Newmarket this evening didn't materialise, so that also goes down as a 'no bet'.

I had Winter Sunrise in my sights as a horse to oppose. With just one run under her belt - winning her class 5 maiden - she was giving weight to all but one of her rivals in her handicap debut. She was also stepping up to class 3. To win this evening would require a career best performance, and marked improvement. However, I wanted to get matched at 10/3 or below to justify a bet. The horse produced a great performance to win, but was only ever as low as 7/2 and my price policy was again vindicated - you cannot lay horses at any price and make a profit long term. Even if you think a horse will lose, you must also make a judgement as to what point the risk becomes too great to make it a worthwhile bet.

Even though the weather has been decidedly damp, we keep our powder dry to fight another day.

No comments: