Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dusky Warbler is certainly on song

A relatively quiet day in the end, with only two qualifying bets. All but one of my proposed selections to win came up short in price, and so they go down as 'no bets'. Dusky Warbler however, was a very attractive 2/1 at the end of the morning, before being bet right in to 11/10 favourite at the start. He produced a game run this afternoon at Fontwell, recovering from a blunder to win in the final few yards.

My one lay bet was Tredegar in the Blue Square handicap stakes at York. I suggested yesterday that if I picked an improving horse in this race to lay, then I needed to be shot. I've managed to pick two winners recently (not what you are looking for when laying horses to lose), with that exact same angle, but thankfully today I was on the money. Tredegar had won his maiden, and subsequently a class 5 race. But on his last outing he stepped up to contest a class 2 handicap, similar to the race this afternoon, and showed no evidence of winning at this level on that mark. I saw no reason to expect a dramatic improvement to win today (although that's what I said about Off The Record and Whitbarrow, yesterday and Monday) so I was a nervous spectator as the stalls opened. I need not have been so concerned, as he trailed in last to give me a much-needed point profit for the lay bets account.

All-in-all a good day, two successful bets from two, and 3 points profit to squirrel away.

No comments: