Saturday, January 06, 2007

Perce Rocked at Sandown

Today was a fine example of how betting to value prices, and having the discipline to wait for value, will ensure your long-term profitability. None of my five Win Bet selections were available at long enough odds, and so all five go down as 'no bets'. Just as well because, only Scarvagh Diamond won, at a paltry 4/6F and we saved ourselves from throwing away over 3 points profit.

With prices generally too short across the country in light of the appalling conditions under-foot, I was counting on some value from my lay bets - and I wasn't disappointed. All three of my selections came a cropper, although Pilca wasn't short enough in price to be put on the account. My first selection to lose was Vicario at Haydock.

In the Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown, I was keen to lay bets against the hot favourite Perce Rock. Before today he had only won a National Hunt flat race, and a maiden hurdle worth £4k (this Class 1 race is worth more than £25k to the winner). So he had only beaten horses in a much lower grade, who themselves had never won a race - hardly spectacular form. Admittedly he produced his best form when finishing a close 4th in the 'bumper' at the Cheltenham Festival last year, but the fact remains he was unproven at this level with obstacles to jump. He was returned the 2/1F and finished second, and I picked up 3 points profit.

So, as the gloom set in at the end of the afternoon, I was happy enough to see 4 points profit added to the account.

No comments: