Thursday, February 15, 2007

Canada Street paves the way

All change today, and a wind of better fortune blew my way. Before today, so far this month I've had just 2 winners, and the back-to-win account had fallen a little over a point. So a lot of form study for no gain. But, when you have confidence in your approach, it pays to remain disciplined and continue doing what has proven profitable in the past.

Three winners from four bets, and a shade over 6 points profit. Canada Street returned the best value, winning at 5/2 but available at 4/1 on the exchanges during the morning.

The day wasn't spoilt either by my two lay bets -- both odds-on favourites. As an aside, and I know it's after-timing, but I was sorely tempted to lay Sculastic at Kelso. The horse is still a maiden but was offered at 1/6 odds-on today. This is a ridiculous price, but I honestly couldn't see any of his rivals beating him, so I didn't take it any further. No wonder bookies make money, when punters are prepared to take such skinny odds! Anyway, I did oppose Snow Patrol in the first maiden hurdle at Chepstow -- but he won. Only cost me a point though.

Then I was against Boomshakalaka in division two of the maiden hurdle, but this time risking 3 points. This was only the horse's third run, and his debut jumping obstacles. To date his only winning form is in a class 6 National Hunt Flat race, on good to firm ground. Today he was running around the stiff track at Chepstow, in testing ground, so there were doubts surrounding his stamina. Yet he was still sent off the 8/13 favourite. Doubtless the Henderson/Fitzgerald trainer/jockey combination helped artificially depress the price. He came in second, and at a price odds-on I was able to increase my stake and still only risk my 3 points.

By the end of the afternoon I had picked up a shade over 11 points profit for my efforts. A welcome result after a slow first half to the month.

No comments: