Wednesday, February 07, 2007

He came, but he didn't conquer

Another quiet day as the cold snap claimed the two jumps meetings again. I did have three proposed bets at Lingfield, but neither of my two win bets reached my value price. This meant we missed a winner with Super Frank, but also avoided Rain And Shade which lost at odds-on. It's been an extremely quiet month so far when it has come to finding horses to back at value prices. But these periods soon pass, and before you know it we are backing half a dozen horses each day!

My single lay bet was successful, as I got Roman Boy beaten. Five years ago this horse had a rating of 80 and was showing solid form in class 4 events. However, he has been running in several class 6 handicaps this year, and yet to win. Stepping up in class today, I saw no reason to believe he would suddenly pull a win out of the hat against better competition. He finished fourth.

Come the end of the afternoon, I am one point better off.

No comments: