Monday, April 30, 2007

Carthys Cross, and so he should be!

Not the kind of day I would choose to bow out on at the end of the month, but apart from a lack of profitability, today did produce a quite remarkable race. In the first race at Towcester four horses lined up to contest the beginners chase. Three of the runners had a realistic chance of winning, whilst Chain started the 28/1 outsider making up the numbers.

The three main protagonists were well clear of Chain, when first one tipped up over a fence to leave leave two runners out in front. Then a second horse fell, leaving my selection Carthy's Cross with a 20 length lead over the no-hoper. It seemed all Carthy's Cross had to do was get over the last three fences to take the race. Well, he didn't fall, but instead two out he refused to jump at all! Chain came past to take the lead, and although Carthy's Cross gave a hint he might get back on top, we saw the most unlikely of winners. That race will definitely feature on Question Of Sport at some point.

Getting back to my results -- I had four bets, but with no success as three selections were runners-up and the other failed to place. I had three lay bets, and although two of these were successful, Dig Deep won his race at 4/1 and I ended up a point down.

At the end of an eventful day, my reward was a 5 point loss.

No comments: