Tuesday, April 17, 2007

One Ace but four jokers

A loss of a point-and-a-half this afternoon on the Win bets account. I had five bets and suffered four losers. Fortunately Spanish Ace got me some of my money back, so no real damage done to the account.

A better day with my lay bets, and they more than compensated for the loss from my win bets. First, I was successful for 2 points in opposing Transcend at Nottingham, the morning favourite for the maiden stakes over a mile. Then I was taking on Hannicean in another maiden race, this time over 10 furlongs. The colt was having only his second race after finishing behind four horses on his debut, and his first race this season. He was also stepping up in trip. Although entitled to be older and wiser since his first run, I felt there were enough reasons to doubt him at a price of 6/5 on Betfair to justify a lay bet. I was wrong this time and the horse had improved and ran a fine race to win. My final lay bet, also for 2 points, was Pipers Song.

And so a profit of over 2.5 points from laying, and a fraction over a point profit overall.

No comments: