Thursday, January 31, 2008

Laying horses at odds-on prices

As I have received a few queries recently, I thought it may be valuable to clarify my personal staking strategy when laying bets against horses at prices odd-on.

If a horse is priced odds-on, for example 10/11, 4/5, 3/10, etc., then your liability should the horse win is always lower than your stake.

Some people prefer to keep their stake the same and reduce their liability. So if (for example) they lay a horse for 1 point at odds 1/2 they will win 1 point if the horse loses, but only lose a half point if the horse wins.

Personally, I prefer to take advantage of a lower price, and increase my stake. So, again using the price of 1/2 as an example, I prefer to stake 2 points but risk the full 1 point should the horse win.

On Tuesday I recommended laying Haldibari for 3 points at a price of 2/5

I staked 7.5 points at the price of 1.40 (2/5), which meant I was still risking the 3 points suggested should the horse win.

Many people would have felt more comfortable laying the 3 points, but only risking 1.2 points. At the end of the day you should adopt a staking strategy with which you feel comfortable.

My approach is more aggressive, with higher potential profits, but equally you must accept the higher liabilities.

On 21st January I layed Dave's Dream at odds-on for 7 points, and it won. You will note that in this case I took the loss at the full 7 points. So it works both ways. Your staking strategy should always match your betting temperament.

No comments: